Growing up, I was raised Catholic. Traditionally, Catholics give up something for Lent. Oddly enough, I think I was/am the only one in the family who ever gave anything up. I really liked this concept because it made me feel like I was actually doing something religious. I never did bible study or Sunday School, I tried out for chorus once but, oh yeah, I can't sing.
Even though I don't go to church anymore, I still always give something up for Lent. And by give something up for Lent, I mean give something up for the first 2-6 hours, accidentally eat or do that thing I gave up, then remember, oh crap, I gave that up. Darn. Whelp, there is always next year.
If I'm feeling particularly dedicated that year, but screw up on the first day, I rack my brain to think of something I hadn't had that day then decide to give that up instead. I think I'm missing the point of Lent.....
Any who, here are my Lent hits and misses... (I think you're really going to be impressed with one of them)
1. Wine (Miss) - I think I made it to 7pm on the first night. "Oh, Champagne is wine?! Crap."
2. Diet Coke (Miss) - "Oh, even if I mix it with whiskey, it still counts as having a diet coke??" Crap.
3. Popcorn (Hit) - One day during the 40 days and 40 nights, the cracker jacks that crossed my path at a gas station in Bucksnort, Tennessee almost got me. Almost. I'm too smart for you, cracker jacks, I know you're popcorn under that molasses flavored candy-coated disguise! Popcorn for the Lent WIN!
4. Elevators (Miss) - I was a kiddo in college when I tried this. I lived on the 4th floor. I figured it would be challenging but doable. I think I may have forgotten the challenges of coming home drunk at 3am and forgetting that elevators are forbidden. Lent Miss.
5. Beer (Hit) - I'm serious. I made it! I said beer, I didn't say vodka or gin or vino... or jack or johnny or jose.... Hell no H20! Lent Win!
6. Public Transportation (Hit) - Ok, so this may sound like one of those, "I'm giving up being an Underground Drug Lord for Lent" kind of scenarios. But I was in college and I took the campus bus everywhere. I took it to class, I took it home, I took it to bars. So I put my walkin' shoes on for 40 dang days! Go me, and go my much-stronger-for-the-experience legs!
7. Pizza (Miss) - I'm sorry. I just couldn't do it. Say no to drugs say yes to pizza. Lent miss.
8. Texting (HIT) - YES. I. GAVE. UP. TEXTING. FOR. LENT. My friends were so PISSED. They had to call me on the Zach Morris contraption. I think several friends are still angry with me over that. And guess what, I made the entire 40 days. Can you believe it? How impressed are you right now?!
And for this year's challenge?
I love love love Starbucks and I go every day on my way into work. So I stopped today on my way in this morning and it will be the last time until Easter Sunday. It is a good thing I didn't ask General to give it up with me...
Are you giving anything up this year for Lent?