To say this process has been draining would be the greatest understatement of all time. As of last Thrusday, we really had NO idea what was wrong. Thursday and Friday, she got progressively better and I was optimistic. Saturday morning we went for a walk around the neighborhood, and she trotted happily, tail wagging the whole time. We then walked back into the house and it was like a light switch flicked off and normal Veenie disappeared. I told CB, drop what you're doing, we're going to the vet right now.
The vet does an X-Ray and suggests surgery. I'll use the term suggests, because she was about 60% certain there was some kind of blockage happening, but couldn't confirm with certainty. After about a gallon of tears, and by tears I mean a $6,000 estimate, I opted to first do something called a Barium test where they basically track this dye as it runs through her GI tract. This test would confirm a blockage, and once the blockage was found they'd rush her to surgery.
Here's where this story gets good --- and by good I mean here's where I start to actually lose my sanity.
About 8 hours later, they call with the Barium results.... "There is NO BLOCKAGE, come and get her."
I screamed out loud in pure joy, hugged CB and we went to pick our girl up around 11pm Saturday night.
They suggested we bring her back in for a follow up xray the next morning. We arrive at 8am, with a puppy who is most certainly still not herself, but in good spirits. I chalked this up to the fact that she has gone a week with very little food. I mean, I'm not myself after an hour or two without food....
This vet, the same that insisted we get her into surgery the day before, says she's still seeing a blockage of some sort and she doesn't know why they sent her home last night.
Sanity at this point is beginning to erode.
CB, the vet and I all agree to let her try and eat at home, and see if she throws up.
She throws up. I call vet. I talk to the same vet that sent her home on Saturday night who continues to INSIST she sees no blockage what so ever, but bring her in in the morning and we can conduct an ultrasound. This is the first time I've heard the word "ultrasound."
I dropped her off Monday morning for this ultrasound not thinking much of it. I didn't give her a million giant kisses goodbye, I didn't get a face lick, I just assumed I'd be back that night to get my girl.
At 1:15 the vet calls, a new vet this time, firmly insisting surgery. I couldn't get the words, "YES, GO" out of my mouth fast enough.
I left work early because I was a complete mess, and CB came home to be with me. We waited for what felt like a lifetime for the phone call. When I got it, I sat there wishing the phone had never rang. The surgery did not go well. When they got in there, they found a toothpick which had perforated through her bowel in 5 different places. Her small intestines were stuck together, and just for good measure, she had a nasty case of pancreatitis.
CB and I get to go see her during visiting hours tonight. I'm picturing rows of sick pups in little white hospital beds, while cat nurses come tend to each one with sponge baths and kitten candy stripers drop off flowers that loved ones have sent.
CB seems to think she'll just be in a cozy little kennel.
I for one like the image in my head better but to each his own.
I love that dog with all of my heart, and I'm going to do nothing short of my absolute best to remain positive and optimistic. If anyone can get through this, it's Veenie. I mean, I saw the girl chase down a squirrel on Friday at full speed, while a toothpick was causing her what I'm sure was unthinkable pain. She is GOING to get through this. I need her to get through this.
Finally, I just want to say thank you. The tweets, the texts the messages, the emails. You guys are incredible and I'm blown away by the support in this community. Truly, thank you.
I'll do my very best to keep everyone updated either on the blog or via social media.